THE BEEKEEPING PROJECT
Haiti Projects is dedicated to increasing women’s independence and decision-making power. We have found one of the most powerful ways to accomplish this in rural Haiti is through employment and job skills training. Women, who are the heads of almost 50% of households in Haiti, are responsible for feeding, clothing and paying the school fees for their families, yet have little opportunity to earn an income.
Beekeeping is an activity that has been practiced in Southern Haiti for generations. The local tropical vegetation including Hibiscus, Campeche, and Grapefruit gives the honey a unique flavor making it a very desirable commodity.
As charcoal production continues to deforest Haiti’s countryside, projects such as these are not only helping to create jobs and provide a sustainable product, but they are also critical to the health of the environment.
- Provide women with the necessary tools to become beekeepers
- Train the women with the knowledge they need to become successful beekeepers
- Support the women in making value added products and marketing and selling these products along with their honey
- Teach as many people about the importance of environmental stewardship along the way.
The secondary need addressed by this project is increased environmental awareness and stewardship. It is reported that only 2% of Haiti’s forest cover is intact. Beekeeping teaches those involved that the environment is more valuable intact than when turned into charcoal briquettes.
How Women Use These Products
The women involved in this project ultimately decide what they want to do with the honey they produce and the by-products of beekeeping (wax, propyls, etc.). They can either:
- Sell their honey and reinvest in more hives
- Use their honey for personal consumption
- Make candles or soap with the wax
- Sell their wax
We also encourage the women to form groups to learn and take care of their hives together. They have the opportunity to determine what works best for them, their family members, neighbors, etc.
To support women’s beekeeping project, please visit our DONATE PAGE.
Your donation to support the women’s beekeeping projects, helps to train women to become successful beekeepers and provide for their families plus provide environmental awareness in Haiti.